So this post is part of my occasional Wednesday – ‘What went wrong’ series, intended to warn and reassure in equal parts. Hopefully I can help you avoid making the same mistakes I did, but the lesson I’ve learned from this project (and read elsewhere) is that there will always be some mistakes. And you can pretty much always live with them.
This is the floor of my loft wetroom, with beautiful encaustics made to my own colour scheme. Unfortunately, as you can see, the encaustics don’t really like being in a wet room and are progressively fading – starting with the areas closest to the shower.
I’m not really sure what went wrong…It might be that we didn’t seal the surface of the tiles properly, it might be that they’re reacting badly with the shower gel etc creeping in via the cut edges around the wet room grate. Or it might be…and this is probably the real reason, that I was so in love with the idea of putting my own colours together that this company offered, that I avoided asking the question about wet room compatibility in case I got the wrong answer.
Anyway it’s done now, and you know what, I can live with it. I just tell myself that it helps the house look more lived in/ appropriately aged. And I can always sneak downstairs and see how they’re meant to look in the guest room ensuite.
One thought on “There’s always something…”
They also developed a haze immediately in response the mastic, interestingly (or not).